Another Painting from the “Experiments” Series

Here’s my latest finished piece from the “Experiments” series:
image
I say “finished” because I find myself working on several pieces at once. This is because I work on other pieces while some layers are drying. Anyhoo, this piece is mixed media that includes metallic thread and glass.

Here is a close up of the metallic threads:
image It’s unfortunate I was not able to show very well, the magenta reflection of the threads.

 
Here’s the closeup of the glass cabochon used to highlight my initial:
image
The blackish circles are interesting because they’re made with micaceous iron oxide. They have the texture of sandpaper, kind of like iron shavings suspended in polymer emulsion.

The background of the piece was done with black scribbles of acrylic paint. I wanted to express movement and dynamism:
image

Overall, I was pleased with the painting. I like the colours being strong and contrasting (black and magenta) while maintaining a softness. The softness is achieved by the thinning down of high chroma magenta variegated with alizarin crimson.

Please follow and like me:

Experimental Interlude in Encaustic

The last post on the encaustic piece I was working on left off with the addition of gold leaf. I was happy with the way it progressed so far and I didn’t want to ruin it. And I needed to bring more focus on the central subject of the tree, but wasn’t sure what to do. When this happens, I usually put whatever I’m working on aside and try different things by experimenting. In this case, I am using different encaustic techniques on small pieces of rag board (100% cotton mat board); using these boards for experiments is less costly than using a birch cradle board. I will continue doing these until something clicks.

In the experiment below, I made a random design onto the mat board with India ink. Then I covered it with a couple of layers of encaustic medium and fused it. After I added some glass cabochons and ensconced them into the medium and fused it with more medium to hold it in. Using glass is a bit tricky, you have to make sure the size of the glass and the way it’s secured is compatible with the strength of the piece; this involves weight, gravity, adhesion etc. … After the glass was added, more medium was randomly dropped onto the board to add more texture and black oil paint was smudged in.

image

Below you can see the glass cabochons in more detail:
image

I like the way the design underneath can be seen in magnification through the cabochons. I don’t know if this can be incorporated into the piece I was working on but it gives me something to think on. By the way, these experiments are little works themselves and will be used in a series I think.

Please follow and like me: