Hello everyone, as promised, below is the finished oil study:
The story about this piece is one of those “doh” moments in life, where you are incredulous of how dense you can be:
As you know, I was trying to loosen up my paintings. Some of the ways that you can do this is to use larger brushes and larger surface to work on. So as I was reaching for a larger surface, the only one I had already sanded was this 5×7″ panel ( it was cold and rainy and I was being lazy and didn’t want to go outside to sand). It wasn’t larger by much, but I proceeded to use it anyway.
As I was painting, I couldn’t figure out why I kept on reaching for smaller brushes to execute this painting. Half way through, I realized that while my surface was bigger, I was trying to convey a larger subject. The studies I did previously were close-ups of animals. In this case, the whole body of a larger animal is portrayed. Hence the need for smaller brushes. If I were to do a very loose study, I could have done it with bigger brushes but I didn’t want it that loose. Anyhoo, a lesson learned, however embarrassing.
Here is a closer look:
You can see some loose brush strokes especially on the leg of the cow. Suffice to say this painting isn’t what I intended in terms of really pushing looseness but it is finished.
So far, I prefer doing farm animal portraits rather than full body. I may do a few more full body studies to see if this one was a one-off.
Thanks for reading and I hope your weeks is going well.